- Field of intervention
- Vocational training
- Supported organization
- Pessac Rugby
- Country and localization
- France, Pessac
- Supported people
- 100 young people from underprivileged areas
- Project helped in
- Amount of the support
- 12,000 euros
« Saige Rugby Tour's »: playing rugby as an educational experience for young people from underprivileged areas.
Pessac Rugby, a French association, was established in 2005 to promote rugby – and play it.
It has been running its Street Rugby project, introducing people to rugby in various parts of town – including Cité de Saige, a hotspot where underprivileged youths now play this sport – since 2006. The fact that the Street Rugby project was such a hit led Pessac Rugby club to build a pitch at the foot of the buildings in Cité de Saige. There are several objectives:
- to reach out to people who would not otherwise come to the rugby club;
- to share the values that rugby stands for (solidarity, respect, team spirit, support…);
- to building social ties and promoting diversity (Pessac Rugby will be transferring a few of its training sessions to the new pitch);
The Accor Foundation* supported the creation of this pitch.
* In 2013, the Accor Foundation became Solidarity Accor.
Official ceremony for the Accor Foundation’s contribution to Pessac Rugby.
« I got involved for three reasons: this project is in a neighborhood near the hotel, where several employees have flats or houses; the association I am backing is working very hard to educate and integrate those youths in local life; ibis Pessac is one of this association’s long-term partners, and we have a great win-win deal with them.”